Teaching opportunity.... in Gulu. Is this you? Do you know someone who would love a teaching adventure?
Elspeth Dugdale | June 2, 2018
At the Connect Education Centre in Gulu, we partner with Read for Life, ( run by Jody and Dan Unterrheiner), who are looking to recruit an enthusiastic, KS1 experienced, creative, literate, flexible, fun, phonics-friendly, willing, competent, qualified, adaptable individual to join them. (Phew.... it's good to know what's involved...)
If that describes you - or if you know someone who fits this description - please read on and do write to Jody for further information: firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, please do forward this article if you know an amazing primary teacher who would love this opportunity to use their skills in a unique environment.
'It's such a 'development' cliché to talk about wanting 'to make a difference'. But Read for Life (https://www.readforlifeug.org) are really making huge and lasting changes in education in the Gulu area, probably more than anyone else we have come across in the last ten years. If this vacancy appeals to you - don't hesitate to find out more.
What is involved?:
Are you looking for an adventure? Are you looking to use your skills as an early years practitioner or primary teacher to serve as a volunteer in the developing world?
READ for Life is seeking a volunteer teacher to work on education projects in northern Uganda.
Main role of the volunteer:
- Research and prepare lesson plans for READ for Life’s new nursery teacher training college based in Gulu
- Team-teach lessons with Ugandan teachers and assist in mentoring them as tutors
- Assist to create a phonics teacher handbook for early years
- Support local early years teachers by observing lessons and giving advice on how to improve
- Participate and contribute to early years teachers’ professional development for the local community
Desired skills and experience:
- Must be a qualified teacher with experience teaching 3-7 year olds
- A minimum of two years’ teaching experience
- Knowledge of and experience in teaching synthetic phonics essential
- Works well independently with minimal supervision
- Creative, adaptable and willing to learn new skills and teaching methods
The volunteer position is to start ideally in October, 2018 and last for 12 - 15 months.
Interested applicants should contact Jody Unterrheiner: email@example.com